Friday, August 2, 2013

It's soccer season again

As much fun as I'm having helping coach Sydney's soccer team, I'm starting to question if this was a very good idea.

Aside from the obvious reason that I know nothing about soccer, there's the added problem that it's tough taking pictures of my little darling in action when I'm supposed to be busy offering encouragement and helpful tips to the whole team.

A further complication occurs when the first game of the season happens to fall on the eve of our vacation, and all sorts of last minute work emergencies pop up that must be finished before I leave, causing me to be 20 minutes late to the game.

It's a good think I'm only the assistant.

The kids didn't seem to mind. They were too busy noticing and laughing at my work attire. "Why are you wearing that?" One girl asked, noting my dress clothes and heels.

But at least I made it. And I managed to snap a few pictures.

Sydney volunteered to be goalie. I missed most of her stint in the net, but loved the attitude the just seemed to ooze from her being.


Though it sounds like she regretted volunteering. Not because she couldn't handle the pressure. But because she wanted to be part of the action on the rest of the field. Jeff could hear her asking to switch positions. At half time, she got her wish.


It's amazing the difference in her enthusiasm and aggression in just one year. She's still got a lot to learn, but she's figured out the most important part of the game: she needs to play if she wants to score.


She came close to scoring, but sadly her shot went wide. But the fact that she got the ball and made a shot is such a vast improvement over where she was at her rookie year.


On the way home, she wanted to know which team won. (The other team did, but no one keeps score.) I fudged it a bit saying I wasn't sure of the score. Sydney thought about it a moment and said, "If everyone played their best, then I guess it was a tie."

I love how she thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment