Sunday, July 29, 2012

How was your weekend?

Monday morning is just around the corner, which means back to work. It'll be week three at my new job, and so far I'm really loving it. But there's one part of Monday that I dread following a weekend like the one I just had: answering the inevitable question people always ask - "how was your weekend?".

I have no good answer. No exciting stories to share. Only too much information, and I haven't worked with these people long enough to inflict that on them.

For instance, I could tell them we went out to eat Friday night. And then on Saturday, while looking for something in my purse I discovered the cloth napkin from the restaurant. I have no idea how it got in there. Awkward!

Or I could mention that on Saturday, while digging in my underwear drawer, I came to a horrible realization. The last time I bought myself a new bra, it was a nursing bra. 

My baby is about to start kindergarten.

And I didn't even buy it for nursing her. 

I bought it while pregnant with her brother. Who's about to start second grade.

And so I visited Victoria's Secret on Sunday. I had Sydney with me, and she thought it was an awesome store. She had no idea what most of the stuff was, but it was pink, and that was good enough for her. Of course she then had to try and squeeze her head under the dressing room door while I was trying on the bras. Lovely. (Her trying to squeeze under the door. Me trying on the bras was not so lovely.)

So that brings us to Sunday night. Sydney asked me to play "Lego Girls" with her. That's a slightly misleading name, I soon learned. Yes, we played with her Lego Girls, along with her Barbie tent, Squinkies hair salon, and  Disney princess and prince figurines.


We simply had to, because there's no Lego Boys. Luckily, Prince Charming wasn't put off by Mia and Olivia's lack of height. And he was very gracious when they shared their drinks with him.


Meanwhile, AJ talked me into renting a Redbox movie last night. I think he might have watched half of it before admitting he didn't want to watch the rest. "It wasn't as good as I thought it would be," he explained. "It wasn't as good as the commercial. Maybe they had the actors do a little bit more acting that wasn't in the movie."


As for Gus, he was typical Gus. I can almost imagine his thought process here as he sprawled out on the couch. "Just act casual. Just act casual. Maybe she won't notice that my mouth is wrapped around her new pillow."


So now that I've got all that out, I'm ready for work. I'm ready for the question. How was my weekend? Oh, pretty low key. How was your weekend?

*****


On a much brighter note, I have high hopes that next weekend and all the weekends to come will be much better. That's because Jeff won't be working them. After his current set of shifts ends, he's switching to a new position with Monday through Friday daytime hours. Did I mention that my new job also involves Monday through Friday daytime hours? In all the years we've known each other, this is the first time we've both worked such normal hours at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment