Monday, July 30, 2012

Miss Contrary

Contrary to what you might assume, the  headline has nothing  to do with a certain five-year-old's  argumentative nature.


No, it instead refers to her use of the opposite word of what she means to say.

At dinner tonight, I gave the kids the choice of raw or cooked veggies. Sydney responded, "I want them hot, so they're crunchy."

That's almost as good as her helpful hint a few days ago. I couldn't remember where I'd set down my purse. Sydney advised, "Think. Think of the first place you had it."

Meanwhile, in the category of "how'd that go?"... Sydney just emerged from the office where she'd been playing a computer game, and proclaimed, "My feet are sweaty."

"Why are your feet sweaty?" I asked.

"Because I was criss-cross applesauce. That's why they're sweaty."

I had to ask her to repeat herself.

This time she demonstrated by crossing her legs. Translation: she'd been sitting in the chair cross-legged, covering her feet. That's how her feet got sweaty.

It makes perfect sense now.

I bet if I asked her, she'd tell me her feet were cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment