Wednesday, September 11, 2013

911. 12 years later

Twelve years.

How could it possibly already have been 12 years?

And somehow today I ended up almost exactly where I was on this horrible day in 2001.

Today, the sun was shining and the sky was clear. I heard several people comment on how similar the weather was 12 years ago. I don't remember what the weather was like back then. On that day, I'd been working in the basement of the Great Lakes Aquarium, where there are no windows and the foundation is so thick (in order to support the weight of all the water) that you get no radio or TV reception. I remember this because as the events of September 11 unfolded, I had to rely on my mother to email me updates because many news websites had frozen due to too many people seeking details.

I was able to enjoy today's weather because it happened to be the day that I and three colleagues had scheduled our weekly workout with a trainer. Julie gave us a couple of options for workouts and we chose to go outside. We grabbed small weights and headed for the bayfront, but then she decided to have us work out... get this... on the steps that run alongside the Great Lakes Aquarium. And as we used the steps for lunges, squats and other painful exercises, I happened to glance across the street where a small replica of the Statue of Liberty stands. And there was an honor guard surrounding it, holding a memorial in honor of those who died.

The coincidence was too much.

We decided to move our workout, so as to not become an inappropriate background for such a somber event. We grabbed our weights and turned around. Now facing Duluth's downtown, I spotted the two towers that stick out above the Century Link building. I've never noticed them before, but this time, on this day, couldn't help but notice how much their shape resemble mini versions of the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

So many lives touched, ended or forever changed. How lucky I am to still be here and be healthy. To be able to enjoy the bright sun and clear skies. To remember the loss of that day and the many people who served and sacrificed in the 12 years since then. Soldiers who are dying in Afghanistan now were the age of my son when the war on terror started.

Too many memories. Too important to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment