Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back to the books. Or at least to recess.

One down. One hundred and I don't know how many days to go. If the kids keep smiling like this, it's going to be a great year!


AJ, who'd been dreading this day all summer, seemed excited to head out this morning. And there was no hiding his enthusiasm this afternoon. He got to play kickball during recess, and he kicked the ball over the wall every time. Could there be a better omen or what? As an added bonus, his teacher is, in his words, "Nice. Extremely nice."

And there's a new boy in AJ's class who just moved here and he plays hockey and his desk is right next to AJ's.

And his only homework tonight is to read for 15 minutes. He can handle that. And I only have to put a check mark in his planner when he's done - I don't have to write down book titles or anything. I can handle that.

Yes, the year is off to a great start.

Sydney had a good first day, too. But I sense I missed a lot of stories by not being here to talk with her the minute she got off the bus. She thinks she has a new kid in her class, too. But can't remember his/her name, or even if it's a boy or a girl. She got to put a pebble in a jar for being good, but she can't remember what she did that was so good.

What does she remember about her first day of first grade? That she didn't get to play. Except at recess, AJ was quick to remind her. She also remembers a conversation she had on the playground with a boy who is NOT her boyfriend. "I saw Max today," she told me. "I told him I lost a tooth. He said, 'Sweet!'."

There is one fellow who's less than excited that school is back in session. He's the guy in the middle of the above photo. I can't help but feel sorry for him. Gus had been in the backyard when the bus rolled down the street. He ran to the fence to see what was going on and it was as if his whole body sagged. He knew the significance of that big ol' school bus, and for him it wasn't good. Back to spending his days in the kennel.

Cheer up, Gus. Only nine more months until summer vacation rolls around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment