Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Adventures in vegetables

One of these years I'm going to plant a vegetable garden.

I should mention I've been saying that for years. The problem is we'd have to do a lot of work just to create a garden space that's level; safe from rabbits, deer and a poorly trained golden retriever; and can be reached with a garden hose. And then there's all the work of planting and weeding and watering - a lot of which needs to be done right when I'm needing to run the most miles while training for the half marathon. Plus, I'm kind of lazy.

And so one more year has passed with no garden in our back yard.

Last year, I at least started growing herbs in a large pot, and had relatively good results. This year, I let the kids talk me into expanding my container gardening efforts by planting a couple tomatoes. In a moment of weakness, or perhaps of forgetfulness on my part that I usually kill plants, I broke down and spent $6 to buy two small tomato plants at Home Depot several months ago. 

All summer long we've watched the plants grow on our back step, making sure it had enough water but not too much. At last two small tomatoes appeared. Slowly they grew bigger, but stayed green. And then, one day it finally turned red. With black spots that might have been mold.


We quickly plucked it and cut off the potentially bad part, and then used the rest of it - along with a bunch of other tomatoes we bought on sale at Cub for far less than what we spent on the two plants, to make salsa.

Meanwhile, we've discovered a far more reliable method for acquiring fresh produce. The Saturday morning farmers' market about three miles from our house.


Sydney came with me two weeks ago and had a great time. All those tables covered with brightly colored vegetables displayed right at her eye level for her to choose from and carry in her bag. Sydney simply couldn't resist!

"Let's get these!" She'd excitedly point at vegetables she doesn't even like.

And I'm pretty sure I got a lot of extra veggies simply because who can resist such a cute helper? Several times, as I was paying for something, I'd hear one of the vendors say, "Throw in those loose carrots," or "Here, just take all of these. She'll love them."


I have to admit I might also have gotten a bit carried away. My refrigerator now holds a big bunch of kale. I've only used kale once, and don't recall the recipe, or if we even like it. But just in case, I'm ready!


Last Saturday we returned. This time with AJ. He thought it was pretty awesome, too. Fresh green beans are his new favorite healthy snack. And tomatoes.

Sunday, I attempted to can some of those tomatoes. I had 80 percent success. Five pint jars sealed with diced tomatoes inside. Two hours later, one of the lids popped up. But the other four worked. 

I also roasted some of the tomatoes and made salsa. But then we ate it before I attempted to save any for later. I think I'm going to have to make some more.

I might even have a few more homegrown tomatoes to add to the mix. Tomato #2 from the back yard is finally ripe. And three other small green tomatoes have now appeared. Hopefully they'll have enough time to grow and turn red before frost gets them.

Thank goodness for farmers markets to back me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment