Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Monkeying around

I freely admit I need to do a better job leaving work at work and not bringing it home with me. But sometimes it's not all bad. Such as when I have to rent a gorilla costume for a TV commercial shoot, and the furry suit doesn't have to be returned until the next day.


It's a great motivator when picking up kids from the after-school program and they're being pokey because they want to finish the game they were playing. "Hey, guess what's waiting in the car? A gorilla costume."

The five-piece suit (head, body, hands and feet) was zipped in a garment bag that was draped in the back seat between the kids' booster seats. As we ran a couple of necessary errands, AJ couldn't wait to try on the mask and furry gloves.

"This is probably dangerous," he told me from the backseat.

"Why is that?"

"Because I might scare people in the other cars and they'll crash."

If he had any idea how ridiculous he looked.

"I don't think you're going to scare anyone," I told him. "Though I bet there might be a few people curious about what kind of animal I've got in the back seat."


"Wait a minute!" AJ exclaimed a short time later. "Can we maybe get this costume again some time?"

"We'd have to rent it again. Why?"

"I could wear it to a Minnesota Wild game. Because gorillas are wild."

Um, yeah. But probably we're not going to do that.

Later in the evening, just before bedtime, Jeff stopped home from work to kiss the kids goodnight. When they saw him coming up the sidewalk, they ran into our room to sneak into the costume to scare him. Oh, the giggles of delight!


I've sometimes called them my crazy little monkeys. This just proves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment