Sunday, June 2, 2013

Running with AJ

He may be able to out throw and out hit me in baseball, not to mention out everything me in hockey. But when it comes to distance running, I can still beat my eight year old. Is that really something to be proud of?


I'm more proud of him. AJ attempted his first 5k Saturday - the Pound the Pavement fundraiser  race organized each year by our school's Partners In Education (PIE) group. I give him credit for trying. The most he's ever run is a little over two miles, and much of the second half he walked. But he was determined, and so I agreed to run with him.


He did great the first two or three blocks. And then wanted to know how much farther he had to go. He made it to the first mile marker before slowing to a walk. I tried some positive encouragement, telling him how proud I was of him. He responded with a winded grin, "Thanks Mom."

His kindergarten and first grade teachers were both running, and offered words of encouragement as they passed us. We continued walking/running, with him pointing to a driveway or mailbox and suggesting we walk when we reach it, and me pointing to something just a bit farther. I again told him I was proud of him for doing this.

"I know, Mom. You already told me."

Apparently he gets grumpy when tired. It's kind of like running with his Dad.

AJ did better the third mile. It might have been the knowledge that he was almost done. Or maybe it's his competitive nature. A large woman in purple passed us, and then slowed to a walk. "AJ," I whispered, "We have to beat the purple lady."

That got him to grin and pick up his pace. For a while. I next him of the donuts waiting at the finish line - the donuts that would be all gone by the time we got there if we didn't keep running. "Dough-nuts, dough-nuts, dough-nuts" we chanted as at last the school came into site.

"Can we take the shortcut?" AJ wanted to know.

"No, that'd be cheating."

A minute or so later AJ's face brightened as we followed the runners ahead of us. "This IS the shortcut."

How lucky!

One of the traffic control people recognized him and called out, "Good job, Alex, you're almost there!" as we crossed the street toward the school. That brought another small surge of speed.

We made it to the back side of the school and at last the finish line clock came into view. Jeff and Sydney were waiting for us and cheered him on. And that's when it became obvious that AJ still had more energy left than he thought. 


He wasn't going to beat our 35-minute goal, but he was going to beat his mom. I love his facial expressions as he pushed through the chute.


I think our final time was 36:11 (the photo below was obviously taken a few seconds later.)


Yes, there were still donuts left for him when we finished. And we beat the purple lady. AJ got his first race t-shirt, the yellow one you see him wearing (they hand them out at registration.) I told him to be proud of that shirt because he earned it by doing something a huge percentage of people aren't able to do.

I asked AJ if he'd ever want to do this again. No. It took too long and was pretty boring, was how he summed up the experience. It wouldn't take so long if you trained and ran faster, I told him.

At least he's done it once. I was 30 the first time I attempted something like this. He's only eight. So I guess he's got me beat after all.

1 comment:

  1. Addie's opinion of our school's 5K is that it "almost killed" her. The bananas and bagels afterward were not enough of a draw. However, she does think she might do it again some day.

    ReplyDelete