Thursday, August 28, 2008

The accidental gardener

Several years ago, I put a birdhouse in our front garden. I carefully chose the location to give us the best view of visiting scavengers from our kitchen window. What I forgot to take into consideration is that birds are messy. Many of the seeds end up on the ground, where they somehow manage to take root despite the rocks and landscaping fabric we'd put down.
And so for three summers, I have painstaking picked out more weeds than I can count that have grown around the birdfeeder's base. Late last summer, while pulling a weed, I noticed a sunflower seed attached to it. I realized I'd been pulling a lot of similar looking weeds, and so this summer, I decided to let one grow.
Ta da!
I also had nothing to do - this year - with the incredible amount of mini-pansies that are growing in my garden and front yard. Apparently last year's crop spread and came back, giving me little purple and white reasons to smile in unexpected places.
I potted some and they continue to grow like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment