Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The not shy one

"The little talker." "The chatty one."
"Future governor." "Sure can tell he's related to his grandfather."
These are just a few of the comments I heard Sunday following AJ's participation in the children's sermon at my parents' church.

And participate he did.

When the pastor invited kids to come forward for a short message, AJ ran to the front of the church. The pastor moved around a bit, gesturing for children to join him, and shifting his microphone cords so that he could sit down. Each time the pastor took a few steps, so did AJ. So when the pastor finally sat down, AJ was right there at his side: "Hi, my name's AJ."

Of course the pastor's microphone picked this up. Sitting in the back row, I could hear him loud and clear, as could the rest of the congregation.

The pastor started by talking about the upcoming Olympics, telling the kids there will be running and swimming and wrestling and other sports.
"I like to go swimming!" announced AJ.
"You do? That's great," replied Pastor Ron.
"I go swimming with my Daddy. We have a swimming pool."
I don't remember the pastor's next words. He was clearly trying to get back to the message. But AJ wasn't finished talking about swimming.
"I have three swimming pools," AJ told him, holding up three fingers to illustrate. I'm not sure where that came from. We only have one pool.
The pastor then tried – despite continued interruptions from AJ – to draw a link between the Olympics and the story of Jacob wrestling with God. It had something to do with God helping us overcome our fears.
"When it's dark in my room, I don't like that. But Sydney's not afraid."
And on it went.
I never did get the point of the children's sermon. I'm not sure if anyone else could either with so many interruptions. But they sure heard plenty of AJ's stories.
AJ may be too young to understand a personal relationship with God, but he sure felt comfortable developing a personal relationship with my parents' pastor.

And a side note: Happy half birthday, AJ! My not shy son is three-and-a-half today.

No comments:

Post a Comment