Thursday, September 18, 2008

Please grow. Please just live.

Admittedly, I have not had the best success growing trees. The year Jeff and I got married, I planted two pine saplings in the yard at our old house. I thought it'd be cool to watch them grow as a symbol of how long we'd been married. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way. The first tree died within the year. The second one hung in there for a little while, but finally died while Jeff was deployed to Bosnia. Thank goodness that wasn't an omen of some sort!

This year at the State Fair, we picked up another small sapling. We've planted it, but based on how it's looking after a couple weeks, I don't think its odds are too good.
I refuse to be discouraged, however, and so last week we purchased and planted two new trees in our yard. (The ones you see in the photos.) These are a bit bigger to begin with than the saplings, so hopefully we - and the trees - will see a better outcome. And hopefully in years to come, I'll be able to revisit this project by showing how much the trees - and the kids - have grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment