Thursday, December 30, 2010

Loops and laces

Christmas vacation is drawing to a close, and AJ's big homework assignment apparently has been weighing heavily on his mind.

"Mom, I still don't know how to tie my shoes," he reminded me tonight.

And so I had him practice. Over and over and over again.

The initial crossing of laces is no problem for him. But making the first loop was a different story.

I would show him, talking as I did it: "Little loop, close to where the laces crossed, and leave a long tail at the end."

When it was his turn, he'd either make a big loop with no tail, or a little loop at the very end of the lace.

Finally he started remembering, and so then we moved to the cross over. He still can't do it without help, but I could tell he was getting frustrated and so I suggested he "do it for real."

With the shoe on his foot, we started again.

He's not quite there yet, but we made enough progress for one night. I'll be curious how much of it he remembers tomorrow.

I teased him that once he masters tying his shoes, it'll be time for him to start tying his hockey skates.

He wasn't amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment