Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree

I had more "help" this year decorating the Christmas tree than I've ever had before. Sydney was quite excited to hang the deco-RA-tions. In vintage preschool style, she placed them where she could reach them, leaving a large percentage of the tree bare. (You can probably guess which candy cane I put on the tree, versus which ones were her contributions.)

We bought the tree Saturday and set it up in the living room. My plan was to let it stand over night, which is what we did (with the exception of the candy canes, which provided a needed distraction for Sydney while I cooked dinner Saturday.) So by the time Sunday rolled around, Sydney was more excited than ever.


Over and over she returned to the box of ornaments. In some cases, she managed to squeeze three ornaments on one small branch. Other times, she'd request, "Mommy, lift me up."

She seemed to recognize her limitations, and for the most part steered clear of the breakable ornaments, choosing instead the jingle bells to hang along the bottom of the tree.

She hasn't quite figured out the concept of "know when to say when." The empty ornament box didn't slow her at all. She instead turned to the big Rubbermaid bin, pulling out some of the uglier ornaments that haven't hung on the tree in years.
When I told her we were out of ornaments, she insisted, "No we're not. They're in the box."
Ta Dah! At last, the tree is done. I told Sydney she was a good decorator.
She answered, as if they were one and the same, "Yes. I'm a girl."

No comments:

Post a Comment