Thursday, October 2, 2008

Seasoned travelers

I can't help but look at AJ in this picture and think about how differently children travel today compared to 30-some years ago.

Buckled into his car seat, AJ's balancing a portable DVD player on his lap, while sipping Mommy's leftover drink from Arby's. Now, I can't really compare apples to apples, because I can't really remember anything from when I was three-and-a-half. But I do recall plenty of long, cross-country road trips as a child with my family when I was just a few years older. No car seats. No electronic toys. No air conditioning (or maybe it just felt like that riding in the back seat of a suburban).

I'm not complaining though. I consider those family trips to be priceless - just as I've come to value the quiet that comes with an occupied preschooler in the back seat.

Meanwhile, what was Sydney doing during this trip? She'll never remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment