Sunday, July 4, 2010

Zoo fun

So I jokingly started sharing this story a few days ago, allowing myself to be side-tracked by the news that AJ had lost a tooth. And then I forgot to go back and finish telling the tale. It can't be that I'm getting old. I'm blaming it all on motherhood.

Now where was I? Oh that's right... the zoo story.

I took the kids to the Zoo last weekend. As we approached the various animals, Sydney would point out that Diego (her second favorite Nickelodeon character after Dora) helped that various animal.

When we got to the nocturnal exhibit, she excitedly called out, "Look! There's a baby pygmy marmoset!"

Need I remind you she just turned three? And she's spouting animal names with how many syllables?

Incidentally, the sign on the wall said it was a different kind of monkey. But I have to give her credit, other than the coloring being a little different, this little guy looks an awful lot like the one in the cartoon.

When we got to the Polar Shores area of the zoo, AJ took on the role of zoo guide. He'd recently attended a 4-day fishing camp at the zoo. (Never mind that they only actually fished for about an hour out of those four days. That's a whole other irritating story.)

AJ strutted around the grounds like he owned the place, approaching strangers and offering little tidbits of information he'd learned at camp about the various animals. For some reason, he decided to nickname the Polar Bear "Poley" (long o sound).

He and Sydney stood at the glass, peering down at the bear, saying "Hi Poley."

Sydney, for whatever reason, found this to be hysterically funny, and would dissolve into giggles each time she or her brother said it.
Later on, we made it to the children's petting zoo. Sydney wasn't interested in actually petting any of the barnyard animals, but she still enjoyed the up close look.


I'm sure there are plenty more fun anecdotes to share from our zoo visit. But I can't remember them. I'm blaming it on my kids.

And before I forget, Happy Independence Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment