Sunday, July 4, 2010

Go fourth and have fun

Let me start simply by asking: really Dad? You're going to make it this easy for me?

Stay with me. You'll understand what I'm talking about soon enough. My parents, as they've done for the last few years, drove up for the day and accompanied us to the candy-throwing festival better known as the 4th of July parade in Cloquet.

My Mom, who I couldn't resist teasing last year for the way she lunged after a pack of Skittles, stayed pretty well planted in her chair this year. The same, however, cannot be said for my Dad. Which brings us back to my original question.
Let's just take a moment to observe and ponder all that's going on in this photo:


Taking candy from a little girl?
And right in front of a police car?
That's cold! Or should I say bold?
I guess I should be grateful that at least one person from my family was having fun retrieving candy. Because my children apparently decided it wasn't worth the work this year. Sydney got scared early on by the sight of some clowns, followed closely by the wail of a siren. So she spent most of the parade on Jeff's lap.



AJ, meanwhile, decided quality was more important that quantity. And by quality, I mean bubble gum. That's all he wanted. Run into the street to grab up a Tootsie Roll? I think not. Bend over for a sucker that landed at his feet? Surely, you jest.


I'm counting four pieces of candy in the above photo that he chose to ignore. I'm really not complaining. Just wondering when he became so picky.
Because usually Sydney is the picky one. Sydney is the one who didn't want to wear a red shirt. Why? because it isn't pink.
At the parade, she seemed to make the connection between the color of our clothes and the colors on the flag. She was excited to point out the flags, and very willing to stand with her hand over her heart as the flag passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment