Thursday, April 7, 2011

We can practith that

My baby is growing up. Wednesday, she officially entered "the system," participating in a pre-school screening. Her reward for completing the test? A goodie bag filled with all sorts for preschooler delights, like color crayons...    


And a juice box...


By far, the most exciting gift in the bag was a scissors. If ever there was an indication that she's a big girl, it's definitely being given scissors as a gift. 

As I'd filled out form after endless form in preparation for the screening, I realized I wasn't too concerned about any development issues. Granted, at times Sydney is annoyingly clingy when I wish she'd be more independent, while other times she's stubbornly independent when I wish she'd stick closer to my side. But overall, she seems to be doing just fine developmentally. The only thing I was curious about was her vision. AJ was already wearing glasses at her age, and lately she's been sitting closer to the TV and trying to have books set right in front of her when we read. And what did we learn? That Miss Sydney didn't want to cooperate during the vision test, so they can't conclusively determine if she needs glasses. In other words, we need to schedule a visit to the eye doctor.

The one other area in which she might need work - which caught me completely by surprise - is pronouncing the letter 's'. They detected a slight lisp. Overcome with flashbacks to second grade speech class... silly Sally saw a slithering snake, slithering through the silky grass... I could only point to a glass and ask, "Sydney, what's this?"

"Glasth," was her answer. Sure enough. How have I never noticed that?

Lucky for her (she'll probably go on an independent streak and think otherwise), I happen to remember all sorts of exercises the speech therapist did with me, even after all these years. This is definitely something we can master.

No comments:

Post a Comment