Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What a Beauty!

It's safe to say Sydney is absolutely captivated by musical theatre. Just don't call it a show.

"It's a play," she reminded me on more than one occasion.

Monday became girls' night out as my favorite princess and I got to see the touring production of Beauty and the Beast at the DECC Auditorium. Of course, half the fun of going to a live performance is dressing for the event.

(Why do I get the feeling I'll have flash backs to this night when Sydney is dressing for her prom or wedding?)

A colleague was able to get us two free tickets, and what a fun night it was! Lots of little girls dressed in their finest princess gowns, and Sydney complimented just about every one of them. I couldn't help but wonder as she was eyeing each one up, at what age do they switch from giving nice words to catty jealousness?

Sydney earned lots of smiles, too, in her yellow dress, accessorized with gloves, ring, beads and a crown. I'd found the dress on a clearance rack Sunday, and the gloves, jewelry and purse (which she decided to leave at home) in a separate set. As Sydney admired herself in the mirror, she said, "Let's see. Something's missing." she then proclaimed,  "I know!" and ran off to her room, returning with her crown.

Sydney sat on my lap throughout the show. There were a few scary parts, but for the most part she watched in fascination. The best part for me was watching her reaction. Tiny gloved hands clapping in enthusiasm, or covering her mouth in awe of some of the fancier dance numbers. Lots of giggles. (The director did a good job keeping the Beast from seeming too scary.) Even the romantic moments seemed to effect Sydney. She would lean back and plant a sweet kiss on my cheek.

It was after 10 o'clock when the show finally ended. Amazingly (or perhaps not so surprising considering how enthralled she'd been) she stayed awake the entire ride home. Much of the time I could hear her singing off-key the final line of the theme song, "Beauty and the beast." (I think I'm going to have to buy it on iTunes.)

Thankfully, Jeff is off today, which means my little beauty can sleep in, as opposed to letting us see just how beastly she can be when she's tired. I've already warned him that she wants to wear her new dress again.

No comments:

Post a Comment