Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beyond dyeing eggs

Happy Easter. Our Lord is risen! Halleluia!

I haven't forgotten the real reason for Easter, and I've done my best to remind my kids. But that doesn't mean we haven't taken part in all the traditions connected with the Easter bunny.

A few days ago, we finally got around to decorating Easter eggs. Most people, myself included, dye their hard boiled eggs. But with my kids, this year, dyeing was just the beginning.


They dipped, and a few times dropped, their eggs in the various cups of dye.

AJ actually seemed surprised to discover his technique resulted in as much dye on his fingers as on the eggs.


Sydney was a bit more careful/anal about it. Each time she pulled an egg from the dye, she quickly dried with with a paper towel. She also had a tendency to re-dye any eggs that she felt didn't have enough color.

Once the eggs were colored, the real fun started. AJ decided to tape pieces of paper towel to his creations, turning them into Super Eggies!



Sydney, meanwhile, belatedly discovered one of the extra features in the egg-dyeing kit. Glue and sequins. Good thing she'd dried all the eggs. She had much more work to do!

As impressed as I was with myself for successfully hard boiling the eggs this year, I'm even more impressed with the fact that only one egg got cracked during the decorating process.

And now we'll see how quickly I can eat all of the eggs. Because unless anyone's taste buds have changed in the last year, I'll be the only one eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment