Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Clubbing with the kids

When we first purchased our membership to Sam's Club however many years ago, I really don't know what the reason was. It was just Jeff and I back then, so it's not as if we needed to buy penne pasta in 15-pound bags or any of the other too-good-to-pass-up bulk rate deals. I rationalized that the lower prices for gas and milk probably paid for the cost of the annual membership, plus I liked the meat department.

Now that our family has grown, we still don't need to buy penne pasta in 15-pound bags. But how could we cancel our membership now? Where else can the kids sample all that free food on a weekend afternoon? Sydney got pink lemonade (loved it!) AJ sampled some sausage (too spicy.) And both kids got a jumbo shrimp AND a piece of chocolate cake. Break out the party hats. Finding that combo in one visit is the equivalent of winning the Sam's Club lottery!

And we mustn't forget the exercise opportunities and fun factor. What other store gives you so many places to run and pretend to hide?


When their ingrown mooch radar isn't locating free food opportunities, the kids turn their attention to searching for any small break in the stacks of boxes on pallets. It's something AJ started when he was pretty little, and Sydney, of course, has had to copy.

They're pretty good at asking in advance, "Can we hide now?" I then quickly look around to see if any employee is within hearing distance as I give my consent to go climb amongst the paper towels and Cheerios. Of course I always consider the likelihood of my kids damaging themselves or the merchandise. I'm not that irresponsible. And we haven't had a problem yet.


What we have had, though, is way too many impulse buys. There's the strawberry-flavored drink syrup sitting in my cupboard that's perfect for smoothies and margaritas. And has never been opened. And the bulk-size rosemary/garlic spice that should last us until the kids graduate.

By then, I bet it won't be nearly as fun to shop with them at the warehouse club. Though they still may want to run and hide. Just to avoid being seen shopping with mom.

1 comment:

  1. Dana, what a great post! Thank you for being a Sam’s Club Member! Speaking of your unused items in bulk, you might be interested in our Simply Delicious Meals page on Samsclub.com/meals. There is a variety of recipes for every occasion; the Rosemary Garlic Salmon with Greek Style Salsa is one of my favorites. Again, thanks for sharing your story AND for shopping at Sam’s Club. – Ramona from Sam’s Club

    ReplyDelete