Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Close, but not quite self sufficient

A few days ago, I was awakened around 4:30 a.m. by the sound of a door shutting. I didn't immediately panic, because Jeff had been working that night. But then I looked over and saw Jeff was already in bed next to me, asleep.

Hmmm... if Jeff didn't make the noise, this is probably a situation worth investigating.

I tiptoed out of my room, peered around a corner and saw that the door to the kids' bathroom was shut and the light was on inside. 

And I have to say it just may be one of my prouder moments as a parent. 

Think about what this means! AJ had woken up in the middle of the night and gone to the bathroom without first coming to tell me he needed to go to the bathroom. And he even remembered to shut the door! 

My baby is growing up!


I went back to bed, but laid awake thinking about how much AJ is now able to do on his own. Twice now I've woken on a weekend to find he's already awake and playing Xbox. He's let me sleep in and found a way to entertain himself.

Just then all thoughts of my son's newly achieved maturity were interrupted by the thump, thump, thump (definitely louder than a pitter patter) of AJ's feet running across the kitchen floor and into my room.

"Mom! MOM!" he "whispered" rather loudly. "Can I come snuggle with you?"

Without waiting for an answer (which, of course, was yes), he crawled over me into bed, positioning himself between Jeff and me. "My legs hurt," he told me. "Will you rub them?"

Not quite self-sufficient after all. And that's perfectly fine with me. What a wonderful stage he is at. Independent and capable enough to do many things on his own. Yet still happy to snuggle up to Mom for comfort when all doesn't seem right in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment