Thursday, April 19, 2012

Silly hair day

Oh, how I've waited for Sydney to reach this stage of life... to develop a certain highly important skill and interest. Sydney, at last, likes to brush Mommy's hair.

Aaahhhh....

She's not as gentle as she could be, so occasionally I get bonked in the head with the hair brush or scratched by a sharp bristle. But after a long day at work, when I'd like nothing better than to relax with a good book, if Sydney asks if she can brush my hair and AJ asks if I want to go play hockey in the driveway... guess which activity wins? Every time.

In truth, Sydney doesn't brush my hair much. Her focus is on styling it. With as many tiny hair clips as she can find and attach to my tresses. She's not quite coordinated enough to handle pony tail holders and barrettes. But the clips work just fine.

The first time she did it, I was totally unaware of what she'd done. It was such a relaxing experience I fell asleep. The next day, guess what I found on my phone:


Not only did she style my hair, she then snapped photographic evidence!

A couple weeks ago, she got particularly creative. She asked for help making a ponytail, and then went to work. I had no idea what she was doing until she showed me a picture. (I stayed awake this time.) I must say, I was impressed.


Most of the time, it ends up more like this. (My shorter hair, apparently, is much harder to work with.)


And so when Sydney came home from school Tuesday telling me it had been Silly Hair Day, and she was disappointed that we hadn't done anything silly with her hair, I knew what I had to do.


(On a side note, I have no idea what happened to the teacher's note about Silly Hair Day. In my defense, who schedules a special day on the first day back after a two-week break?)

I grabbed Sydney's bowl of clips and went to work. And it worked like magic, cheering Sydney right up. She's already decided that next year for Silly Hair Day, she wants her hair the exact same way. She can't wait!


And I can't wait to see what she does with my hair the next time. I probably just gave her some ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes. I always liked people "doing" my hair, too. I do remember those days especially with you. One day in particular stands out. Remember when we were on a trip and you decided to curl my hair with your butane curling iron? In your defense you were trying to work from behind me, but I think if you look closely at my forehead, there's still a mark there. Better keep the curling iron away from Sydney for a while. :>)

    ReplyDelete