Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Mealtime conversations

Studies have shown that when families eat dinners together, the kids are less likely to drink alcohol, smoke or do drugs. They'll have a healthier weight and self esteem, and earn better grades. And in the case of my kids, they're also far more likely to say something entertaining.



Yesterday at breakfast, Sydney said something goofy that I didn't entirely understand. I could tell by her giggle that she thought she was being clever, and so I responded, "Are you trying to trick me?"

"April fools!" she announced victoriously.

"But it's not April Fool's Day anymore, " I burst her bubble (or so I thought.) "Today's April second."

Undeterred, she proclaimed in the same sing-song voice, "April second!"


At dinner, the kids had already sat down in their places as I was dishing up food and carrying things to the table. I could hear metal clanking and turned to see they were jousting with their forks.

"Knock it off," I ordered.

Both kids immediately set down their silverware weapons, but I could tell by the look on AJ's face he didn't think he deserved to be in trouble. And so I continued, "What do you suppose would have happened if you'd done that in the school lunchroom?"

AJ's eyes widened for the briefest of moments as he considered the implications. Mr. Realist then answered, "The sporks would have broken by now. They're not so strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment