Saturday, June 9, 2012

Breakfast of champions. And seven-year-old Twins fans.

We went to Sammy's Pizza for supper last night. So guess what AJ immediately thought of for breakfast this morning?


I suggested my increasingly capable boy should try to heat it up himself. I told him to stick the pizza in the microwave for :25 seconds. He did so, but then decided there were still to many cold pieces.

"I think I'll do :35 seconds this time," said the suddenly expert pizza reheater.

"I'd say :15 seconds," I advised. "Or do :20. We'll compromise."

"Like Pawn Stars," AJ nodded.

Thinking he misheard me, I corrected, "No, I said compromise. Pick a time that's in the middle of what you and I each said."

"Yeah," AJ repeated. "Compromise. That's what they do on Pawn Stars."

Clearly he's joined Jeff in watching that show far more than I have.

It's actually pretty rare these days for us to have left-overs from Sammy's. Growing appetites means we generally can polish off the largest size pizza before leaving the restaurant. But Sydney and I had eaten a late lunch yesterday, and so a few of the glorious little squares remained to be boxed up for another meal.

Or maybe it was AJ's desire to watch the Twins game last night that distracted him from eating his normal fill.

There was a TV directly over our booth that was tuned to some stupid Brendan Frasier movie. I hadn't been paying close attention, but could hear Jeff instructing AJ that he should politely ask, "Excuse me, but could you change the channel to the Twins game?" Normally I would have told AJ he could wait until we got home to watch the game, but right about that moment the movie involved a disgusting bloody tissue-covered creature terrorizing people, and so I really wanted the channel changed anyway.

I figured AJ would flag down a waitress.

I should have figured my son wouldn't possibly have thought of something so simple.

No. He quickly scooted from the table and ran up to the front counter where he politely asked his question. Of the owner. I happen to know Mike through work, and he knows AJ is my son, so he grinned and came over. He not only showed AJ where the remote is located for future reference, he told him he could use it anytime he wants.

"Wouldn't that be stealing?" AJ asked.

"Only if you take it with you." Mike teased. "You're not going to put it in your pocket are you? I don't think it'd fit."

"No!"AJ assured him.

We talked a bit more. Mike noted to me how not shy AJ is. I could only nod. He then went back to work and we went back to eating. And watching the Twins game.

As we were leaving, Mike called out to AJ, "So what's the score?"

Mr. future play-by-play couldn't give a short answer. "We're losing one to nothing, but we've got guys on first and third (I think he provided player names as well) and only one out.

I realize this post kind of rambles from one story to another. Kind of like AJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment