Monday, June 4, 2012

Someone had a birthday

Guess who celebrated a birthday today! (Besides my older sister, who I'm pretty sure appreciates this public recognition of her special day.)

It's Gus' first birthday! Which I guess in dog years makes it his seventh birthday.

Smile pretty, birthday boy.

And I guess that means I now have, at least for the next few weeks, TWO seven-year-old males in my house. How lucky!


Since we weren't able to join Auntie Lisa for a birthday party this evening, the kids thought we should have a party for Gus. Sydney made him a card at daycare and wanted to tape it to his kennel. I tried to warn her that he'd probably try to eat it. I'm really not sure what the design has to do with Gus or his birthday, but if you look closely, you'll see that Sydney wrote her name at the top. (Kadie is the helper at daycare who apparently assisted on this art project.


The kids instinctively seemed to know that Gus, like any seven year old, would also want presents. And so we improvised with what we had on hand: Rawhide, watermelon rinds, table scraps and... the best treat of all... a can of... (drum roll, please)... cat food.


I'm sure Spike won't mind. Well, actually, she probably minds a lot because she's an ornery old cat who hates the dog. So she'll just have to deal with our decision to share. We left enough for her.



I wish I could say that Gus is showing signs of calming down, is chewing on fewer things and behaving better. But alas, about the only recent improvement is when I order him to go to his kennel. We've reached a certain understanding. I tell him to kennel up and give him room to run in the opposite direction around the couch. He runs a lap, avoiding me, and then heads into the kennel and plops down with a loud sigh.

I asked the kids tonight what they love about Gus, and then typed their answers as they spoke.

Sydney: What I love about Gus? Well, okay, I'll tell you what I love about Gus. The best thing I love about Gus is when he licks me. And I love him because he loves me, too. And he likes me, too. That's all I love about him.

Me: What don't you like?

Sydney: When he chews up toys. When he chews everything of ours.

Me: AJ, what do you love about Gus?

AJ: That he's always a little tired sometimes and I like to snuggle with him. And he's furry. And (by this time he was staring over my shoulder)... write 'and'... (he paused, waiting for me to catch up to his dictation.)... and he's soft as a blanket.

AJ's correct. Gus is a good snuggler at bedtime. There have been several nights when Jeff's working that I've let him sleep on the bed with me until Jeff gets home. That's our special one-on-one time together, without the distraction of the kids wanting him to play and then wanting him to leave them alone.

I'd be lying if I didn't say he's been a challenging addition to the family. He's destroyed more Barbie dolls, Lincoln Logs, balls and other kids' toys than I can count, not to mention shoes, gloves, towels and just about anything else he can get ahold of. Despite that, the only regret I have is that I don't have more time to focus solely on him. Gus still shows potential of being a great dog. He just needs the attention and patience to become it. After all, he is only one. Or seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment