Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Flooded with memories

Poor Sydney. What are the chances that her five-year birthday coincides with a 100-year flood?


Looking out the window, she declared, "I can't believe it's raining on my birthday. I hope they don't cancel my birthday."

On this big day, I should be writing something sweet and poignant about what an amazing girl she's turned out to be and about all the hopes and dreams I have for her.

But instead of encouraging her to reach for the stars, I've been too busy reaching for the wet vac. It's a 12-gallon model. I filled it at least ten times yesterday and twice more today. You do the math. Because I'm far too tired to do much of anything.

7.6 inches of rain in a 24-hour period will do that to you.

Here's a look at the culprit/battle I faced last night. A dysfunctional window well that filled with water and then drained into the basement. That water was at least a foot and a half deep. And it was all I could do to keep up with the flow.


Just about the time the water level would start to go down and I'd think I was winning, the rain would intensify and I'd have to start all over again.

The kids didn't understand the severity of it. At one point, I needed AJ to hold the wet vac for me while I ran upstairs for more towels and a bucket. In terror at being left in the basement alone, he screamed over the sound of the very loud machine, "How long are you going to be gone?!" (I was back in far less time than it would have taken me to explain to him where to find the towels.)

At one point, I think it was around 11 p.m. and I'd been sucking up water for about two hours, I exclaimed in frustration, "This is NOT a fun night!"

Sydney looked at me with innocent confusion. "It's not? Why not?"

"Well, let's see," I started. "The water keeps coming in. I'm sick of the wet vac. I discovered a place where Gus pooped inside and had to clean it up. What part of that is fun?"

She stared wide-eyed, then raised her hand excitedly, "I know a way to make it a fun night. Game night!"

Uh, yeah. Maybe some other time.

By morning's light, the normally calm Midway River was well beyond its banks. To put the below picture in perspective, normally you wouldn't see the river at all from this perspective. It should be beyond the tree line, and the leaves would block it from view.

Yet here it is, covering a good portion of our backyard. The water has continued to rise throughout the day. The kids have been brilliant in their observations. AJ stared in awe, "Whoa! It looks like a river."

Sydney, meanwhile, offered helpful updates, "Look, there's a stream in our backyard again!"


Our next door neighbor has marked in his backyard the 100-year flood mark. By early afternoon, the water level was within a foot and a half of the mark, and I've heard that the river is expected to rise another two feet before it starts to recede. Across the river from us and in other parts of the town, sandbagging efforts are underway.

It simply seems unreal. When we get walloped by Mother Nature, it's in the form of snowflakes, not this. Friends have shared photos and videos on Facebook showing homes that I routinely pass when I run. And they're now flooded or have had their driveway washed away.

Jeff has had to work through much of this. As he prepared to leave earlier today, he kissed Sydney goodbye and said, "I'm sorry your birthday is ruined."

Sydney looked at me sadly, "My birthday is ruined?"

"Not if you don't think so, sweetheart."
*****

There was one very cool birthday coincidence/observation yesterday. (Was that really just yesterday?)

Jeff and I ran three miles as part of the annual Law Enforcement Torch Run, a fundraiser for the special Olympics. The first time he did it was five years ago. I was extremely pregnant at the time and came out to cheer him on. One of the other officers had joked that if I went into labor, Jeff still had to finish the run. We had no idea at the time, but just five hours later I did go into labor.



I was remembering this story as we waited to start running yesterday. And then we got going and I looked up and saw on the side of the road...


... that same little sweetheart who, five years ago I had jokingly complained wasn't in a hurry to get on with the rest of her life. And here she is now, bigger than life on a billboard. Who could have imagined? 

Likewise, back to the present reality, who could have imagined the devastation that's rained down in the last 24-hours? Please pray that the worst is behind us. Even more important, pray for those who are enduring far worse than we are.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you... I was mopping/pushing water in my basement as you were wet vacing. The water didn't come in our windows, but it did come in through our walls. By the time I fell into bed last night my legs were shaking from all the carrying I did up and down the stairs.

    ReplyDelete