Friday, May 17, 2013

Don't judge me based on my children's choice of snacks

I can only hope that my children's elementary school teachers are the understanding and forgiving sorts. When AJ shows up for school wearing hideously mismatched clothes, I have to believe his teacher will recognize that I let him pick out his clothes himself.

But I'm more nervous about what the teachers think at snack time. In kindergarten, the teacher sends home a monthly calendar and each child is assigned a day to bring snacks for the class. Last month, it was about two days after Sydney's assigned day that I remembered to look at the schedule. I wonder how many friends Sydney lost that day?

By first grade and beyond, it becomes a daily complication. Each child is responsible for bringing their own healthy snack every day.


AJ is weird about that. And I say that in the most loving way possible, considering I've been dealing with his love/hate relationship with various fruits and other treats all year.

Last year, strawberries were always a top choice. This year, he doesn't like them at all. We've been through the grapes stage, the yellow apples stage and the granola bar stage. Now we've hit watermelon as his top choice. In a pinch he'll bring sugar snap peas ("Just not too many, mom.") Pineapple is a no (Too sour!). Bananas are a no (They get squished in my backpack.).

One recent day, when I clearly needed to get to the store to stock up on produce, I looked through the fridge trying to find something, anything, that he would want. There were still a couple yellow apples left over from his obsession with those. No, he doesn't like them any more. Ditto with the granola bars in the cupboard.

In desperation, I asked if he would just like a sandwich. Sure, was his reply. But what to put on it? He doesn't like peanut butter, and anything with cold cuts and cheese would be questionable by later in the afternoon when snack time rolls around. So finally I suggested butter. Yes, he would love a butter sandwich.

And so I sent my child to school with a piece of bread with butter on it. Isn't that what prison camp rations include? Let's just hope the teacher doesn't look too closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment