Monday, May 20, 2013

I'm sensing a pattern here. A very wet pattern.

For the sake of basements everywhere, Sydney cannot celebrate her birthday ever again. I'm not suggesting she not live to see any more birthdays. We just can't acknowledge them.

Why?

Well, let's think back. Sydney's birthday is June 20. The eve of her birthday last year just happened to coincide with this little weather event we experienced that's since been termed a 500-year flood. 

Fast forward 11 months. During these final days of the school year, each of the kids with a summer birthday gets to have a special day to bring a treat to class. Tomorrow is Sydney's pretend birthday. And what's happening now on her fake birthday eve? 

A torrential downpour.

I'd planned on stopping at Cub for cupcakes and a few other things on my way home from work. But somehow during my 30-second mad dash to my car through the pouring rain, I forgot about the cupcakes. As I shook the water out of my hair, I thought to myself, there is nothing I could possibly need that's worth making a trip in this weather.

And so I headed home. Sitting at a stoplight watching a small river flow past me near the curb, I couldn't help but tense up as I imagined what might be happening in my basement. I wonder how long it will take before I can listen to rain without imaging worst case scenarios.

About half way home, I remembered the cupcakes, and so dutifully headed to a different grocery store and picked up the treats. In the rain.


Sydney was thrilled. She didn't seem too excited about the idea of no more birthdays. But I figure wait a few years. About the time she turns 29, she'll be all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment