Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The graduate

My eyes got a little moist walking into the school, imagining how quickly the next 12 years will fly by. But after that I did okay. No tears as I watched my baby "graduate" from kindergarten.


This was a very exciting day for Sydney. Thank goodness we'd been through one of these before with AJ, so I remembered how many parents surprised their daughters with flowers. I also remembered the tissue paper corsage, and so bought her a wrist corsage instead.

Here they are, the class of 2025. (Look for Sydney in the middle of the second row.)


The ceremony included a lot of singing. Also, each child approached the microphone, stated their name, their favorite part about kindergarten and what they want to be when they grow up. If these kids stick with their current plans, there will be no shortage of teachers in about 20 years. There were also be a whole lot of artists, police officers and even a few spies. I loved the well-rounded nature of the interests expressed, particularly the kids who said they wanted to be artist when they grew up but listed science as they favorite class.

And then there's Sydney's dream: 


I missed the beginning part of Sydney's speech because the boy in front of her suddenly had a panic attack and ran back to the bleachers, giving me not enough time to turn on the camera. She spoke quickly, so in case you need the translation, her favorite thing is art, and when she grows up she wants to be a supermodel. I was hoping a bunch of her friends would all say the same thing. That would explain where she got the idea. But no. My darling is an independent thinker. She was the only one out of all four classes to have come up with that career goal.

At the end, the principal solemnly shook each child's hand and presented each with a diploma. Video probably would have worked better, but here's the moment:


One last fun photo, Sydney with two of her "BFFs": Jaydon and Ceci.


 I would love to get a similar shot of these girls at their high school graduation. But I definitely can  wait. Just the thought is again making my eyes moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment