Saturday, December 20, 2008

The real meaning of Christmas

I have not done a good job teaching my children the true meaning of Christmas. AJ just does not want to know that Christmas is about more than getting presents. Ask him whose birthday is on Christmas, and he's as likely to answer "Uncle Steve" as he is to remember "Jesus".

So I decided to try using props to make the story more real. I bought a small nativity set. As AJ pulled the pieces from the box, he noted the sheep and a cow. He then asked, "Is there a bear?"
"No, I don't think there were any bears in Bethlehem," I answered.
He next grabbed the three wise men and used them to start a wrestling match.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"These are the bad guys." He exclaimed.

I'm not going to give up. Meanwhile, I've found someone who's absolutely fascinated by the little people.



Ask her where's the baby, the sheep, the angel, the mommy, etc. She's knows them all!


'Tis the season of miracles. We'll get AJ to come around.
P.S. My baby is a year and a half today. Take a look at how much she's changed!

1 comment:

  1. We're trying to instill the meaning of the season as well, but somehow consumerism is winning out this year.

    ReplyDelete