Friday, February 20, 2009

Off to work

For as long as I can remember, I've referred to the kids' daycare as their school. For AJ, it sounded a little more grown up and dignified. Apparently that's no longer good enough.

"That's not my lunch box, Mom. It's my brief case. I'm going to work. My school is a police station. And Gino and Jase and me, we're police men. And we catch bad guys in our fishing nets."

Another long standing tradition is I'll ask him each evening what he did at school. AJ used to simply answer the question by telling us the names of the friends he played with that day. As his language skills have developed, he gives us more details of the games or activities they've done.

Recently, AJ started asking, "What did you do at work today?"

My answer usually includes something like, "I went to a meeting, and I typed some stories on the computer and I talked on the phone a little bit."

It was bound to happen. Yesterday I asked AJ what he did at school. His answer?

"I went to a meeting."

No comments:

Post a Comment