Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When boys get sick...

I'm trying to avoid stereotypes about males' inability to deal with minor illnesses, because in AJ's defense, he's such a healthy kid that he's never had to learn how to function at less than 100 percent.

But he's getting experience now. The cold that started with Sydney and then moved on to me, now seems to have settled in AJ's chest. By Sunday night, I could hear the congestion in his voice. Monday morning it was no better. Having just been through this myself, I sympathize with him because I'm pretty sure I know what symptoms he's dealing with.

I tried explaining to him what was going on in terms he could understand. I told him that he needs to try really hard to blow his nose, because if the boogers don't come out his nose, then they go down his throat, and that's what's making his throat hurt.

The explanation sort of worked. Dropping him off at daycare Monday morning, the first thing he told his teacher was, "My throat hurts because I've been eating my boogers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment