Saturday, September 18, 2010

Star student

Clearly, the novelty of kindergarten has worn off. Thursday morning, AJ asked, "How long 'til I get a day off?"

By Friday, he was asking, "Is today a school day?"
"Yes."
"It's always a school day," he sighed.


I am happy to report that his first homework project was a success. He just brought home the graded paper and got a star and a "wow!"

The start of school also means the start of fundraising season. If anyone wants to buy some cookie dough, just let me know. He's also being asked to collect the Box Tops for Education. We've got lots of those so I got him started on filling out the form that gets turned in with them. (I assume so his class gets credit.) He had no problem writing "AJ" on the sheet, but then stopped when it was time for his last name. I started spelling for him. "K" - it took two tries (that's why pencils have erasers, right?) to get it going in the right direction. "A" - no problem with that one. "Z" - he wrinkled up his nose as if he'd never realized that letter was in his name. "E" - by now he was getting cocky. "A big E or a little e?" he asked, "Because I can do them both. They're easy."
Since he'd been using all capitol letters, I told him, "Big E," pointing out that easy starts with e. That got a smile.

Finally we moved on to "L." He stopped for a moment until I reminded him it was the letter that looked like a hockey stick. "Oh yeah," he started writing, "that's easy peazy lemon squeezy."

No comments:

Post a Comment