Monday, November 29, 2010

DecoRAtions

Let the anticipation for Christmas begin! With the exception of a tree, which we'll get next weekend, our halls are now decked!

Both kids were very excited to help. Translation: both kids were eager to dig through the boxes of decorations and pull out their favorites. I think Sydney just enjoyed saying a four-syllable word. Over and over she'd ask, "Mommy, can I help with dec-o-RA-tions?

I'd say yes, and then she'd wander off to play without helping at all.

AJ was most excited to find the Santa hat. Followed closely by whichever ornament he's holding above, simply because it was surrounded by bubble wrap.

It was sad to pull out stockings and find the one that says Maddie (my old white cat). This will be the second Christmas without her, but I can't bring myself to throw it away, which means I guess we'll be repeating that moment for years to come. I think of her anyway each time I pull out the strings of beads. Nothing turned her into a kitten faster than the chance to chase them around the kitchen floor. She'd be happy to see that Sydney is enjoying them in her absence.

Next up is repairing/replacing the outside lights. I hung them on the porch yesterday afternoon. I'd love to know what naughty little elf snuck into my basement over the summer and shorted out sections of two strings of lights that worked perfectly last January when I packed them away. I guess maybe it's better I don't know. Standing in the cold and surveying my less-than-fully-illuminated handiwork, I was not feeling particularly full of Christmas spirit.

And I couldn't help but think, this is the fun part. Wait until it's even colder in January and I have to take them all down. That's when the Christmas spirit will really evaporate.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Joe and I live in California. My wife and I are having our second son in February and we are considering giving him Kazel (pronounced like Hazel with a K) as a first name. Can you tell me if you always have to spell it? Does it get mispronounced a lot? Is there any teasing I should know about? Any feedback would be helpful. Happy holidays.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    amazingpig@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete