Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween fairytales

What do you call three staight days of Halloween fun? For kids, it's like a fairytale with a happily ever after ending. For this blogging Mom, it means no time to write all weekend long, followed by enough material to last me for the next week. So just a hint, I'll be recapping all the tricks and treats for at least the next few days.

The fun started last Friday, and it was a fairytale of sorts for AJ. Instead of the standard Halloween party, all the kindergartners at his school were treated to a "Nursery Rhyme Carnival". Kids were encouraged to dress as their favorite nursery rhyme character, or to simply come in their favorite costume.


The key prop for AJ's costume is missing in the above photo, so I won't make you guess. But wearing his "re-purposed" Peter Pan costume, accessorized with an old candlestick of mine, he became Jack, as in "Jack be nimble. Jack be quick."

I volunteered to help during the carnival, which meant Sydney got to help too. She was a real trooper throughout, behaving herself quite well for the two-and-a-half hours she was stuck in AJ's classroom. Though I did catch her a couple times helping herself to the prize bucket.

I let her dress in her "Halloween Princess" costume. It was one of the few occasions when she could wear it without layers of clothes underneath to keep warm.

Until I was confronted by so many Jacks, I'd never realized how many nursery rhymes feature a lead male character by that name. One of AJ's Sunday School classmates and hockey teammates approached the tic-tac-toe table I was overseeing wearing a t-shirt with "Jack" written across the front, along with blue jeans. He had freckles that obviously had come from an eyeliner pencil and was carrying a bucket. Thinking quickly I tried to guess, "You're not Jack who jumps over candlesticks?"

No, he grinned and shook his head.

"Jack and the Beanstalk?"

No, he shook his head again.

Jack Sprat made no sense, so I finally gave up.

"Jack and Jill!" was his enthusiastic answer. Far from being offended that I couldn't guess, he was thrilled to have stumped me.

I've got plenty more stories to come. We'll have to see which ends first: my weekend recap, or the sugar rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment