Thursday, November 22, 2012

Counting my blessings

I was thinking of titling this: "My cat used her litter box instead of my treadmill, and other things I'm thankful for today." But that's a bit long. Of course, so is my list of blessings. Here are a few:

10. Spike peed in her litter box. Twice since yesterday! I feel like the proud mother of a toddler who's finally getting the hang of potty training. But if you read yesterday's post and knew how hard I've been fighting to not have to make that final call to the vet, you'd realize we'd reached life-or-death stage. And even though my hand still hurts where she bit me, I'm glad Spike will be with us at least a little longer.

9. A large capacity washer and dryer. It seems like the laundry loads never end, but how grateful I am that it's my obsessive-compulsive nature to keep the dirty laundry pile small that has me washing clothes every couple days, and not because my children have so few outfits that I need to wash just so they have enough clean clothes to wear.

8. Good health. For me and my family. Every time Jeff and I go for a run. Every time I watch my kids play soccer, hockey, baseball, gymnastics or any other physical activity, I am so grateful God has given us healthy bodies and minds.

7. Good weather. I'm throwing this one in because I know it's supposed to end later today. But it sure was nice while it lasted.

6. Good jobs. It's been a year of change - a new job for me, a new position for Jeff. And with is has come new, good challenges, opportunities and a much better schedule that allows us to spend more time together as a family.

5. A great community. The school levy and referendum passage earlier this month has renewed my appreciation for where I live. Not to mention, I'm so proud to see everyone's efforts following last summer's flood. I make my home among good people, near a good school and church, with relatively flat roads for running.

4. Great friends. Even though it's getting harder and harder to find time to get together with them, I appreciate the emails, texts and facebook posts that keep us connected. I'm also thankful that on the rare occasion when we do see each other, it's like we've never been apart. I'm also grateful for the new friends I've made through my new job. They've welcomed me, motivated me and made me feel very appreciated.

3. My sister. It doesn't seem possible, but the same individual who once tried to convince me I was going to die of electrocution hours after I'd gotten a small shock while plugging in a tape recorder, is now the person I turn to because I so value her wisdom, priorities and outlook on life.

2. Creative kids. This could be a whole post all on its own. It could be the subject of an entire blog. Oh, wait... they're what this blog is supposed to be about. My kids are bold, confident, smart, respectful and funny and so much more. I love that when I announced I needed to run some errands last night, AJ immediately responded, "Please don't lock your keys in the car!" I love that every day after school, Sydney comes home to tell me about her latest "BFF" (Jaeden earned those honors yesterday. Sydney made up an entire song about her last night and made her a card.) Speaking of cards, AJ just handed me one he made in school. In it he wrote, "... I am thank for you for working for a famous county..."

1. A wonderful husband. He puts up with me and makes me happy. What more could I ask? He left a job he loved because he recognized the toll the schedule was taking on all of us. He ran a half marathon with me last summer even though he doesn't like to run. He's patiently waiting for me to make the final decision about the cat, even though he's been wanting to get rid of it for 14 years. We joked a few months ago that now that we're finally both working normal schedules, we hoped we wouldn't discover that we didn't like each other. Instead, we've re-discovered just how much fun we have together.

It's good to take a moment to think about all the ways God has blessed you. And to remember those who are less fortunate. Life is good for me, and happiness is all around. I hope it is for all of you, too. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment