Tuesday, November 13, 2012

This security blanket has legs

Walking from my bedroom to the living room this morning, I came across what looked like a rather suggestive path. One of Jeff's socks led to another of Jeff's socks, which led to his pants strewn on the floor. One might think we'd followed up our day together (did I mention that both Jeff and I had the day off from work because of Veterans Day, while both kids had school?) with one wild night.
 
But as tired as I was last night, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. No, it was another male in our household who was having the good time.
 

Gus' newest annoying quirk is his need to have some piece of Jeff's clothing with him at night. For the last month or so, we've been letting him be loose at night instead of locking him in the kennel. He doesn't chew on or destroy anything while he's sleeping. But before he can sleep, he apparently needs a little bit of Jeff as a security blanket. (His preference would be to sleep on the bed with us, but we quickly said no to that.)

And so each evening as we go to bed, we turn off the lights, kiss each other good night, and then wait for the tentative sound of Gus walking into our room, followed by his hasty retreat as he grabs whatever piece(s) of clothes Jeff has dropped at the side of the bed. And then the next morning, I walk through the living room retrieving those clothes.

I think Jeff planned it this way. I used to nag him for leaving clothes on the side of the bed when the hamper was just a few feet away. Now, I focus my frustration on Gus instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment