Thursday, November 8, 2012

The cornstalk in my kitchen

Besides the recent election and the start of hockey, what have I been doing to stay busy? Lots of things, like, for instance, well... um... okay, hockey and the election have pretty much sucked up all my spare time.
 
But wait... here's something new. I've been growing corn in my kitchen. How many people can say (would admit to) that in November?
 

More accurately, I've managed to not yet kill the two cornstalks AJ planted in a cup during a class field trip last month to a corn maze.

Why would they do that to parents? It's great to show kids how to plant a seed so they can watch it sprout. But in the fall? They're setting us up for failure, and it's already fairly well documented that I need no help in the area of killing vegetation. I do it fairly consistently throughout the spring and summer.

And what if somehow one or both of these cornstalks don't die? They're already showing signs of needing to be re-potted, which means they won't fit on my window ledge any longer. Where am I supposed to put them? Isn't there some song about corn being knee high by the fourth of July? There's nothing about how big it should be by Thanksgiving. It should be harvested and plowed under by Thanksgiving!

I've never taken my kids to a corn maze because I went to one once and thought it was stupid. Now I have a new reason to boycott.

No comments:

Post a Comment