Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas 2012

For anyone who regularly reads this blog, my Christmas letter probably is redundant. Especially if you already received one in the mail. I sent it out last week (thus the reference to the Mayans. I knew I was right!)


For several weeks I've brainstormed (translation: struggled), to think of a clever way to start this letter. By last week I was cursing Shutterfly for being so efficient. The cards and envelopes arrived, taking away my last excuse for stalling on the letter. So then I started rationalizing. These are Christmas cards. I should intentionally wait and send them out as close to Christmas as possible. I wouldn't send a birthday card several weeks ahead of time. So that's it. I am remembering the real reason for Christmas – Jesus' birthday. It would be wrong to mail our cards any earlier than December 22 or so. But then I worried about the Mayans. If they're right, then I'll have wasted all this energy on a letter and you'll never get to read about our fantastic year.
        Sydney started kindergarten. And gymnastics. And soccer. And hockey. She's learning to read, which is exciting and annoying. She loves to look over my shoulder and point out "the", "to", "my" and the other dozen or so words she now recognizes. The energy and effort she puts into everything she sets her mind to is great fun to watch. Oh, yes, and she got to be on a billboard earlier this year, as a model for the Duluth Children's Museum.
        AJ  is extremely jealous he didn't get to be on a billboard. But he's moved past that, focusing instead on cross-overs, hoisting and other hockey moves that are way beyond my skill level. He's now a Mite 2, which means they use goalies and bigger nets, AND they keep score. AJ loves it! The only thing that would make him happier is if the NHL would have a season, too. He's doing great in second grade, and found time for soccer and baseball earlier in the year.
        Jeff took a new position with the police department, which has wonderful M-F, daytime hours. After two years of overnight patrol shifts, it's such a treat to spend evenings and weekends together. He also found time this year to coach AJ's baseball team and run his first half marathon.
        And me? In July, I became the Communications Manager for St. Louis County, and am very happy with this new chapter in my career.  I ran the half marathon, too. And – perhaps my biggest accomplishment of the year ­– I stopped biting my fingernails! (a bad habit I've had since age four.)
        Gus, our ever hyper golden retriever, has left the Christmas tree alone this year. So far. And Spike, the cranky old cat that will never die, recently celebrated her 18th birthday.
        We escaped the flood relatively unscathed (though Jeff, who was working that night, has some fun stories to share.) For a vacation we road tripped it to South Dakota, followed by an extended weekend playing tourist in the Twin Cities where we went to a Twins' games (AJ's favorite part) and the Mall of America (Sydney's favorite part.) 
        As I said, it's been a fantastic year. We are well aware of how very much God has blessed us, and we wish you as much happiness and more in 2013. (Because really I'm not too worried about the Mayans.)  Merry Christmas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment