Wednesday, December 26, 2012

And that's why a still fresh and lovely tree has to leave my house the day after Christmas

It happened. Again.
 
For the second year in a row, I've switched from singing Oh, Christmas Tree to Oh, Cr**! as I stared at what remained of said tannenbaum after it tipped over in my living room.
 
New this year: I can't blame an old and feeble tree stand tasked with holding too large of a tree. And apparently I can't even blame this guy:
 
 
This year, it wasn't Gus' fault. Chalk it up instead to operator error.
 
I'd been in the kids' rooms, putting them to bed, and so didn't see it happen. Surprisingly, I didn't even hear it happen. (So, if a tree falls in the living room... sorry, couldn't resist) Most surprising of all, I didn't hear Jeff's reaction after it happened. He'd been sitting relatively close to it (playing AJ's new Xbox hockey game since AJ had finally gone to bed) with Gus resting next to him (which is how he knows Gus is innocent) when it came down.
 
By the time I learned of it, Jeff had re-uprighted the tree. Sort of.

 
It's about as straight as it was before.
 
The tree had been so fresh that the trunk was almost soft. That meant the tree stand's screws slid a bit and didn't hold it all that well. And let's just say that over the last few weeks, it wasn't just the kids with gift ideas that I saw listing.

Jeff is now questioning whether I've been unfairly blaming Gus for last year's tree tipping, since I didn't actually see  him pull it over. This is not a criminal court case requiring proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I still say he's guilty.

But back to this year... Jeff picked up the fallen ornaments and told me none were broken, except maybe the star which had tumbled from the top to midway down the tree. I also suspect the ornament hook next to it that has no ornament might be a casualty.


(Sigh.) If ever there was a sign that Christmas is over, I guess this is it.

On to the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment