Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Move over David and Goliath

AJ has a new favorite Bible story. Initially he called it dandelion, until we corrected him that it was Daniel in the Lion's Den.


I'm sure it's just a coincidence that his fascination with the story comes just days after he got to watch the youth group at my parents' church perform a musical about Daniel and the big cats.

I used to think that church programs like this were performed for the benefit of the children involved and their parents. Now I realize what a valuable teaching tool they are for the even younger kids.

Sunday night, as AJ talked on the phone with his other Grandmas, Daniel got top billing as he described what we'd done that weekend. He's told me twice that when he gets big he's going to be in the show, too. He rotates between wanting to be the king and one of the soldiers. I think the cool costumes have something to do with his choices. He's told quite a few people about the gladiator helmet he got to try on.

As luck would have it, we already have a book about Daniel. Last year, when David and Goliath were the coolest characters in the bible, I happened to find a book about them at a library book sale. The Daniel book was sitting right next to it, so I grabbed it too. AJ hasn't been interested in the story before, but he sure is now. You could say that seeing the story come alive has given it some teeth. (I couldn't resist the pun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment