Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Presidential aspirations

I must have been six or seven years old the first time I paid attention to anything political. I was in first grade and I remember learning Jimmy Carter was president, and he liked peanuts.

AJ, who we frequently joke is our future politician because of his enthusiasm to introduce himself to everyone he meets, is already aware of the man with the top job.

On Monday morning, AJ woke up first and so crawled into bed next to me. Out of the blue he said, "Mommy, you and Daddy make the rules. But Barack Obama is our boss."

I think the President's unusual name helps make it more memorable for AJ. It has a fun ring to it. Recently, at the playground, as AJ rode faster and faster on a horse swing, I asked if he was riding a bucking bronco. A little later, AJ announced, "Look! I'm bronco-bama."

Though if he ever hopes to serve in politics, we're going to need to find a way – in our lily-white community – to expose him to or teach him greater cultural awareness, or maybe just some political correctness. During a visit to my parents' church last week, the service included a testimonial from an African-American man. As the man left the podium, AJ whispered to me, "Is that Barack Obama?"

By the way, that "stick" in AJ's hand is actually a small flag pole. AJ was very excited to march around with a flag over the Memorial Day holiday. Showing it to his favorite brave soldier, he told Jeff, "I'm a brave soldier, too." If only waving flags was all they had to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment