Sunday, February 21, 2010

40: Bring it on!

He got me and he got me good. Jeff surprised me Saturday night with a party to celebrate my looming landmark date.

The kids don't seem to mind that I'm getting older. In fact, if the hot dogs, cake and helium balloons are any indication of what's to come, then they think 40 is pretty darn cool.

In addition to black balloons and table cloths, the absolutely impossible to miss decoration was a mammoth banner created by my Dad and shipped from Florida. The thing was so long that even in the giant warehouse of the Lake Superior Brewing company where the party was held there wasn't a long enough wall to hang the entire thing. And so it was cut into three strips and stacked.


So how did he pull it off? I'm thoroughly impressed with the amount of advance planning Jeff put into it. He started a while ago, casually mentioning there was going to be a deployment party for Jason Tanksi, a fellow cop who serves in the Air National Guard. That story almost got blown a few weeks ago when I happened to run into Jason and asked him how soon he was leaving. He corrected me that he'd somehow lucked out and wasn't deploying this time.

Lucky for Jeff, I happened to be with my boss at the time, and she was in on the surprise plans. She quickly excused herself for a minute and frantically called Jeff to warn him of what had just happened.

Thinking quickly, Jeff called Jason, explained the confusion, and then asked if his partner, Jason Eickem was around. He was, so Jeff hastily instructed the new Jason (who I don't think I've even met) to pretend that he was about to be deployed, should I ever happen to run into him.

Crisis averted, Jeff continued with his plans. He lucked out when we bought our iPhones because in the process of transferring our contact lists from our old phones to the new ones, the lists got merged, so he suddenly had access to all my friends phone numbers. Meanwhile, he got the creative director at my ad agency to create an invitation. I just can't wait to see how that turned out, but I hear it's swell. I remember shortly after the new year, John came around the agency asking to photograph each of us with our most frazzled/stressed out expression. He'd explained it was an idea he had for our new Web site. Well, now I know what that photo really was for.

Jeff next enlisted my sister and numerous friends to help with preparations. Fast forward to yesterday: as we were getting ready to take AJ to his first of two hockey games, I could hear Jeff on the phone as I got out of the shower. A few minutes later he came bursting into the bathroom and announced there'd been a call-out for the Tactical Response Team, and he had to leave. WHAT?!? We needed to be driving to the Cloquet Arena in 20 minutes and I still had a towel on my head, and now I was on my own? Jeff assured me he'd already gotten AJ into his gear, so I just had to get myself ready. Jeff then proceeded to get into all of his SWAT gear, and out he went.

It was just before the start of the second game that Jeff called to say all had ended peacefully and he was on his way to the arena. By that time, my sister and nephew, who'd been in town so that Jonathon could tour UMD with a friend, had joined us at the arena as well. Jeff finally made it to the game, still in his camoflauge gear, and announced there was a new problem. Tanner, who he'd lined up earlier in the week to babysit, called him and was sick. Lisa overheard this and immediately volunteered that they could help out. I should have been suspicious.

Arriving at the brewery, after a stop at Jeff's office so he could retrieve his wallet, we walked in the door. In a split second, I noticed black balloons, which seemed an odd color for a deployment party, followed by my friend Kim Parmeter, and my creative director John Keuning. And then I knew. Surprise!

But even then it didn't fully sink in. I spotted my friend Geralyn's family and was thinking, if her kids were there, then it was too bad our kids weren't there to play with them. And then I thought, oh, I should call Lisa and see how late she's willing to babysit, because we're obviously going to be staying longer than I'd told her we'd be. Right about then, AJ, Sydney, Lisa and Jonathon came bursting into the room. The kids were as surprised as I was. (AJ is still asking when Tanner is going to babysit.)

I was talking to our friend Tim a few minutes later, commenting on the amazing coincidence that they'd had a TRT callout that day. Ten years ago, when Jeff threw a surpise party for my 30th birthday, the whole thing almost got ruined because of a stand-off that lasted all night. Tim smiled sweetly and shook his head, "there wasn't a TRT callout today."

Aha! That was Jeff's cover to be able to secretly meet up with everyone he'd enlisted to help him shop and decorate. And why did he wait until the last minute to shop? Because he knows how obsessive I am about monitoring our charge cards. He knew I'd spot and question any suspicious charges. He even made certain that the rental company he'd used for tables and chairs not charge our account in advance. He knows me so well.

The only downside to a surprise party is that, as the guest of honor, I didn't have nearly enough time to talk with all the people who were there. Early on, I found myself stationed near the door simply to make sure I could talk with everyone before they left.

It was while talking the my friend Tracy, who commented on the cool banner, that I suddenly was reminded of just how old I am. I explained to her that my Dad used to paint signs for extra income, and that he often made banners such as this one. I told her I remember him making one for my Aunt Jean and hanging it across her garage that said something like, "Happy Birthday, 39 years and holding."

And then it hit me. The banner for my Aunt Jean was the first one I remember him doing. It was for her 39th birthday. She's now in her 70s. I'm now older than she was when he made that banner.

But here's the wonderful part of living a good life. I don't care about getting older. Every day, every year, continues to be better than the previous one. If, to be younger, I'd have to give up the experiences I've had, the family I've helped create or the friends I've gained, then I guess I'm happy being older. Plus, I get to grow old with a man who never ceases to amaze me with all that he's able to do.

1 comment:

  1. What a great surprise! And what a great guy to do all that planning! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete