Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The 5-year-old diet

I hope it's just a coincidence, but AJ's had some crazy meal ideas the last few weeks since his birthday.

Last Friday, I asked AJ if he wanted cereal or toast for breakfast. He wanted neither. Instead he informed me that he wanted "silly food like Daddy eats that's not breakfast." And so I let him eat a slice of leftover pizza from his birthday party. Cold. He loved it.

Meanwhile, for lunch on Saturday, he wanted a sandwich. It was a little early for lunch and I was busy with Sydney at the time, so when he volunteered to make the sandwich himself, I decided to let him go for it. And what did he come up with?


From the kitchen I could hear him thinking out loud. "Let's see, I need cheese and bread."
And apparently that's all. He proudly came into the living room a few minutes later with an admirable (and thick) first effort at sandwich making. He basically layered bread-cheese-bread-cheese-bread. But he'd done it himself, which of course improved the taste dramatically.
If he becomes a chef someday and opens his own restaurant, we'll have to remind him of how he got his start.

No comments:

Post a Comment