Friday, February 5, 2010

The golden child

Of course I'm asking the usual questions like where did the time go? And how did he get so big so fast? But on top of that, I'm wondering how my child has developed such expensive taste.


For AJ's fifth birthday, his golden birthday, we told him we'd go out to eat for lunch and that he could pick the restaurant. I fully expected I'd be dining at Sammy's Pizza for lunch. But no. Mr. Sophisticated wanted crab legs. So off to Red Lobster we went.

Ironically, by the time his plate was set in front of him, AJ wasn't very hungry. He'd pretty much filled up on the garlic butter biscuits (that's my boy!) and Daddy's clam chowder. He managed to eat a couple of the crab legs, but that was it.

Never fear, Sydney to the rescue! She, too, loves crab legs. Plus, if her appetite the last few days is any indication, she's going through a growth spurt.

Sydney crawled under the table and then up on the bench next to AJ, and then happily helped herself to the rest of his crab legs.
A few minutes later, our server arrived at the table asking if anyone had saved room for dessert. AJ, who'd been eyeing the "molten chocolate cookie sundae" on the front of the menu ever since we'd sat down, suddenly was hungry again. Funny how that happens. Being that it was his birthday, we agreed to get one order for the entire family to split.
Our server, who knew it was AJ's birthday, returned to the table with the ice cream, and three other servers. They then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday.
Guess who liked it! (The special attention and the ice cream treat.)
Happy birthday to my big boy! Five years ago I couldn't have imagined that I'd be spending this evening playing hockey in the basement with you. It makes me curious to imagine how we'll be celebrating five years from now. But I'll happily wait. I'm doing my best to savor every day and every adventure with you.

1 comment:

  1. Grandma and Grandpa LarsonFebruary 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM

    One more time we want to wish you a very Happy Birthday, AJ. We hope you had a wonderful "golden birthday", and are waiting to see you down here in Florida in less than 5 weeks so can give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete