Monday, November 28, 2011

C is for Can do it myself

I'm proud of Sydney's desire to do her homework without help. Really, I am. It just would have been nice if her independent streak had struck a couple weeks ago. In time for "I" week, for instance. That would have been appropriate. And a whole lot easier.

Sydney's preschool class focuses on a different letter each week. The kids are supposed to bring in a picture of something that starts with that letter. During "I" week, Sydney wanted to bring a picture of an ice cream cone. Of course that was the week our printer was out of ink, so I was stuck looking through old magazines for a picture of ice cream.

This week is "C" week. And of course C has to be for Cookie. Easy enough, I figured. Every magazine I receive is filled this month with pictures of Christmas cookies.

Oh, but wait. Why would Sydney want a picture of a tray full of beautiful cookies, just because I tore a page from a magazine? Who needs that when she can color a picture of a cookie? All by herself.


And not just color it, she can cut it out. With scissors. All by herself.


As she ever so slowly cut around the circle she had drawn, she repeated the phrase "I can do it myself," (or some close variation) on average about once every 23 seconds. Including while she was asking for help.


And when she was done, she proudly bragged, "I told you I could do it myself."


I sometimes doubt her attention span, but when she makes up her mind to do something, I never doubt she'll get it done, if for no other reason than to prove she can. C, afterall, is also for contrary.

No comments:

Post a Comment