Thursday, November 17, 2011

The unfairness of Christmas

For 2,000 years, the true story of Christmas has been shared, passed down from generation to generation. Biblical scholars, language experts and scientists alike have closely studied and compared even the finest details and variations between  the gospel accounts.

And yet, leave it to my six year old to raise a question I've never heard asked.

Sydney's choice for a bedtime story one recent night was a new paperback I'd picked up entitled "The Christmas Story".  AJ and I took turns – I'd read one page and he'd read the next.


As I read the page showing Mary riding on a donkey with Joseph walking along side on their way to Bethlehem, I commented, "Can you imagine walking all that way?"

A few pages later, Joseph and Mary had made it to the stable, and the picture and words described Joseph making a soft bed for Mary from the hay.

And that's when AJ interrupted, "Why does the girl always get the lucky stuff?"

He's such a gentleman! I'll be sure to share this story with his wife someday – ideally when she's nine months pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment