Thursday, August 23, 2012

D is for Duh! But not for good observation.

A few years ago I had the poorly thought through plan of creating a wall decoration for Sydney's room that spells her name.


The idea was good, but the plan fell apart when, to save a couple bucks, I bought letters made from some kind of pressed, manufactured wood that is impossible to pound a nail into. That means the only way to attach ribbon to the letter is with tape. And the tape doesn't always stick for long.

As a result, Sydney will have a good excuse if she forgets how to spell her name. She often sees it with letters missing.

Most recently, it was the letter D that dropped to the ground behind her bed. It sat there for quite awhile, until, inspired by her new bedspread and how it gave her room a new look, I crawled under the bed to retrieve the fallen letter.

Sydney was so thrilled and appreciative that she didn't notice. For at least two weeks. Finally, one recent night, she came running into my room to excitedly announce, "Mom, the D's back!"

"I know. I found it and hung it back up," I told her.

"Thanks, Mom!" she said with great sincerity. "You're the best mom a girl could ever have." 

I'll be sure to remind her that she said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment