Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It's in the cards

For roughly two years they've tormented me. Piles of disorganzied baseball cards that require only the slightest bump or breeze to cascade from atop AJ's dresser down to the floor. Earlier this baseball season, we found a temporary fix: an empty shoebox. But then Jeff got the idea to organize them in plastic sleeves.

And so he bought some for AJ. And then those plastic sleeves, along with the shoebox, sat on my kitchen counter for two weeks. Until they were moved to the kitchen table where they sat for a while longer.

But no more.


AJ and I spent the last two evenings sorting. AJ organized his Twins cards. I did the other 29 teams. My attention span still outlasts AJ's.

I have to admit it brought back a few flashbacks to my childhood in Brooklyn Center where my sister and I would trade cards with the boys on the block. I don't recall ever buying cards, so maybe the boys just gave us their doubles and we built our collection from there.


As AJ and I worked, we discovered he had a lot of doubles. Coinciding with this was Sydney asking when we were going to make a book for her.

Everybody wins! Sydney now has all the doubles we found the first night. (But not the doubles identified on the second night. AJ, for whatever reason, wasn't in a sharing mood last night.)


Baseball cards weren't enough to keep my five-year-old soccer player happy. Sydney felt she needed soccer cards, too. The fact that we didn't have any didn't deter her. She got busy and made her own.


Whatever you do, don't put any baseball cards in the sleeve she designated for soccer cards.

I wouldn't exactly call this organization project fun. But it's highly motivating to eliminate this part of the mess from his room. So motivating, in fact, that we just might have to do this again soon with AJ's hockey cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment