Saturday, August 11, 2012

In memory of someone I never knew

Back in 1997, as a 27-year-old reporter, I covered a story about a tragic accident in Esko. Kristin Burkholder, a 12-year-old girl, had been running with her school track team, when she was hit and killed by a driver who'd been high on drugs. A few months later, I did a follow up story with her family as they announced they wanted to keep their daughter's memory alive by starting a scholarship in her name. And they would fund that scholarship with a 5K race each year.

Fifteen years later, that scholarship and race are still going strong. And as my family took part in the festivities which are now part of the Esko Fun Days, I couldn't help but do the math. Kristin Burkholder, forever 12 years old, should now be 27 - the age I was when I reported on her death. It's one of those examples for me of how life comes full circle, and a horrible reminder of just how much she and her family have lost.

But on a much happier note, the kids this morning ran a full circle - more accurately a full oval, one lap around the high school track - as part of the kids race that precedes the 5K. AJ was in it to win it. (If you're having trouble finding him, look for the red shirt and blue hat.)


And where was Sydney? Contentedly standing in the back of the pack.


When the race started, AJ took off with his friends Carver and Ethan. It was a fast pace, and by half way around the track he was walking.

Sydney, meanwhile, started off slow, but at least she kept running. She'd insisted she wanted to run it by herself, but I worried she'd get disillusioned by the number of kids passing her, and so I ran across the football field to catch up with her at about the halfway point. I was so proud of her! She was tired, but just kept plugging along.


I shouted encouragement to her as she went. With about a quarter of the distance still to go, she cried out, "I need a hand!" And so I joined her and we kept running, holding hands, all the way to the finish line.

All the kids got a ribbon, and since AJ hadn't come in first, he was happy to tell her, "Everybody wins!"


And now I must brag for a moment. Jeff and I ran the 5K, and I finished in 25:02. I think that's the best I've ever done. Back when Jeff was in Bosnia and I had Maggie as my four-legged training partner, I know I was running pretty fast, but I don't recall my 5K time that year. Bottom line, I ran my fastest race in at least eight years.

Kristin Burkholder's dad was on hand to start the race this morning. It was a special year because many of her classmates were back in town for their 10-year class reunion.

And so as I sit here reflecting on my glory and feeling pretty proud of myself tonight, I can't help but wonder what her family is feeling tonight.

It's time for me to give my kids another hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment